I just finished talking to an obliging fellow night owl friend in Washington using Google video chat. Very few of my gmail contacts have video capability and he is one of them. It took a few tries to get connected, but as it turned out, all the kinks were on his end - kept crashing his browser. It's good to have another technology thing-y I can do. Thanks, Steve! I don't know how often I'll actually use this function, or how often I would use it in the classroom, especially since chat is often disabled when I'm in the classroom, but options are good things. Next time I'll remember to put my computer on a level surface instead of on my lap so as not to make anyone seasick. (sorry about that ;))
Would it be possible to use a chat function to create a network with another classroom. I think it would be a neat experience to give students a chance to work with someone from a different school to accomplish an objective. It would help them with communication skills. It seems like it would also be a way to get them excited to get a job done.
ReplyDeleteIt should be easy to use google chat to visit with another classroom. Each class just needs access to a gmail account. And video capability, of course. You could even have a class interview someone online. Hmmm...that gives me an idea... :D
ReplyDelete